Sunday, January 01, 2006

My first accident in the UK


Yep, I was involved in 2 car accidents when I was in the UK. Sigh... both wasn't my fault. The first one was more severe than the second one though. The first one involved 5 cars. Jenny, Mei San and I were on our way to Newcastle for a visit. We weren't bringing coal or anything over there but Mei San had a friend over there and we thought it might be nice to just drop by and visit him and also have a look at the place.
It was quite a long journey from Egham - almost 5 hours. Anyway, the accident happened on the A1. The car in front of us stopped and we stopped as well and all was ok until the 5th car behind didn't stop. The lady was quite hysterical when she came out and was saying things like "Ohmigosh... I am so sorry... I was not paying attention... my husband just left me today!". Anyway, everyone was pretty understanding and we all moved our cars to the side and waited for the police to come. A big truck stopped as well and 2 big gangster looking guys were hanging around. Being the Malaysian that I am, I made sure my handbag was clutched close to me... but they were really nice! They were the independent witnesses and they spent quite some time consoling the lady that caused the accident.


The police came and we all got interviewed one by one. I got interviewed first. Luckily I had my International Driving License with me. My office didn't want to reimburse me for this because they said that just getting a translation of my Malaysian license (a piece of paper) was good enough. It was a good thing I was prudent enough to get my own IDP because then they would ask less questions. I also did a breath test to see whether I had any alcohol in my system and after that, the policewoman just made sure I had all the details of the other drivers involved and told me I could go. Very efficient!! My car was damaged quite badly but that is only because it was a tin can car!! The 2 cars behind me hardly had a scratch on them! I never liked a 2-door car anyways.

My second accident happened just outside my client's place. It was just 3 weeks after my first accident and I was driving a lovely Renault Scenic. It was a huge car compared to the earlier Nissan Micra that I had. I was waiting at the roundabout and telling my colleague about my first accident. My car was stationary when another car from behind knocked my bumper! Argh!!! WHY WHY WHY??? It was kinda ironic because I was just talking about my first accident to my colleague when the second one happened. After that, my colleagues all started teasing me. They said I should NOT sit in any of their cars because another car would surely hit them from behind....

No comments: