Thursday, January 05, 2006

Brussels


I almost didn't make it to Brussels. It was a public holiday in the UK and I happily made my bookings. However, I forgot that it was my go-live weekend for my project!! OMG! Luckily, the go-live was postponed but I needed to be back in the UK one day earlier. So I had to change my flight to return a day earlier. Flights from Heathrow to other countries in Europe can be quite cheap. However, you need to book early to get the cheap fares and if you make any changes, you have to pay a steep fee as well. Oh well... Still, since we are living so close to Heathrow, it is quite convenient for us to fly from there.
We flew with BMI to Brussels and got onto the hop-on-hop-off bus just to have a look at the places of interests. Hmm, I think Brussels is pretty small so you don't really need the bus. Can probably walk around on foot. We stayed at Citadines at Sainte Catherine. The rooms were small but manageable. The bed is basically a sofabed that can be converted into 2 single beds. It was pretty cheap though so that was good!
We started walking from the heart of Brussels which was the Grand Place which was the historic square lined with exuberantly ornate guild houses.


We had a city map and was walking around. One of the main attraction was the Mannekin Pis. It was highlighted in the map. So we went around looking for it. When we finally found it, it was sooo tiny!! Only about a foot tall. Hahaha! A bit of an anti-climax. The pissing mannequin is apparently the mascot of the country and on special occasions, it will wear clothes donated to it. Apparently he now has a wardrobe of more than 250 outfits.

No comments: