Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Bak Kut Teh party

When I am home alone, it is time to have a house party!

Decided to cook BKT since I had the herbs from Malaysia and since I also had the time. Went to the butchers and bought so much meat until I had to keep half of the pork ribs in the freezer because it wouldn't fit in the pot!! However, I do think it is better to have more rather than less when you invite guests over to the house. Wouldn't want people to go home feeling hungry. I prepared yam rice (mum's recipe with a mixture of white and brown rice), bak kut teh (with pork ribs, herbs, chinese mushrooms, bean curd, golden needles mushroom), fried vegetables and "yaw char kwai" a.k.a chinese doughnuts. I got the chinese doughnuts from the chinese supermarket and heated it up in the oven. Came out nice and crispy. Mmm.... Just right to dunk in the soup!


3 colleagues from Malaysia and 1 from the UK came for my mini-BKT party. I think the next time I do this, I would put in less water. Felt like the soup could have been a bit thicker. I might not have been able to taste much since I spent the whole afternoon cooking and smelling it. Ah well...

The meal was washed down with a nice bottle of Riesling which I received for taking care of Nutmeg. Whee!!! I must remember to buy more herbs to bring back for my next BKT party!!

4 comments:

MayChing said...

yummy!

Hsiu Lin said...

YUM! I love BKT!

jigsaw said...

wah...looks sedap man. hey, teach me how to make yam rice. pretty please.

Angie Tan said...

hahahahaa...

this reminds me of the time i used to cook BKT during uni days back in roberts hall.

anyway, these days, i just drive down to Klang to get my fix. (^ ^)